Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My "Aha" moment

On a more serious note, I was watching LOST last night, and a commercial came on for Mutual of Omaha. The commercial was about people having life's "Aha" moments. The girl on TV was talking about how she used alcohol in the past to fill the emptiness in her life, but it wasn't till she hit rock bottom and became sober that she realized she had everything she ever wanted.

Commercial or not, the girl's words struck a chord. I don't have an alcohol problem or anything like that, but I have everything I could possibly want/need at the present time, and yet I find myself whining and complaining about anything and everything that goes wrong.

I recently got a new job and moved to the same town as my fiance, and one would think that a girl like me would be ecstatic. And, I was ecstatic, but then of course, life doesn't always play out the way you planned it in your head. My new boss quit on my first day, and I immediately went into extreme, panic, negative mode. Last night, I realized that I've been complaining about anything that doesn't go my way...A little bit of the younger child syndrome acting out in me. But the truth is, I got a new job, I now live in the same town as my fiance, my friend is letting me stay at her house instead of finding a place to live for 2 months, I'm getting married in 39 days (but who's counting), and I will soon be living under the same roof as the love of my life. Life couldn't be any better really, and I am ashamed of myself, especially when I compare my "troubles" to the people in Haiti, or on a smaller scale, to my friends who have been unemployed for months, who recently lost their jobs, who are struggling to get pregnant or who had their heartbroken by a loved one and is now going through the divorce process. My life is awesome, so how will I behave then, when life is actually crappy!? Time to toughen up, put on your big girl pants, and smell the roses, J.

Life lesson #158,503: Life is good, so stop complaining. Appreciate everything God throws your way, the good, the bad and the ugly. To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have.

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

2 comments:

Shannon Leigh Anderson said...

Thanks for the reminder. It's so easy to fall into the trap of always "wanting more." Isn't it??
We truly are blessed!
SO excited for you guys!! I can't wait to see the wedding pictures:)

Anonymous said...

Thats my Girl!

Love Dad!

P.S. I can hear God saying the same thing!