Monday, March 14, 2011

To Kill A Robin

{{pinterest}}
Yesterday as I sat on the couch planning the week's meals, I heard a consistent tapping on the window every 1-2 minutes. As I stood in front of the window trying to figure out what the noise was, a little, fat robin flew himself into our window. "What the...," I screamed. The hubs stayed in his office. Of course, I am the one that has to deal with this suicide bird bombing. The little guy was literally knocking the poo out of himself. Seriously, bird poo everywhere on our deck. Disgusting. I don't want to clean that up. He even managed to get some on the window. Yuck.

I googled the phenomenon, and come to find out, this is common in the spring time. According to Cornell, the behavior is a "territorial reaction."

"This is the time of year when most birds are busy establishing their territories, finding a mate, laying eggs, and raising their young. They are very protective of their territory and will attack and try to drive away any bird they view as a possible competitor or a threat to their young. When they see their own reflection in your window, they assume they’re seeing a competitor and so they attack their own image."

Great, on top of having poo in my house and a mole in our yard (yes, he's still here), we have horny birds flying into our windows. This must be the "Birds" part of the "Birds and the Bees." Oh goody. When are the bees gonna show up next?

What is the solution to stopping the insanity - I could "streak my windows with soap" OR "put nets up to distract" the little guys. Yea, cause that all sounds great. (Please note the sarcasm in my writing...) The hubs printed off a picture of an eagle to tape to the window. We'll try that for now, or else its either bird-poo covered windows or soap covered windows. Might just stay with the poo theme we seem to have going.

1 comment:

Beth said...

is it wrong that I'm laughing out loud as I read this? Sounds like a fun spring adventure...... at least it means spring is here and summer is on it's way! :) Can't wait to see if the eagle picture works. :)