Thursday, August 4, 2011

A life of purpose

Sarah Jane Studios - Get your free print here!
Purpose (pur-pose) the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc.; an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal; determination; resoluteness; the subject in hand; the point at issue; practical result, effect, or advantage: to act to good purpose.

Purpose. This is my daily prayer to God. I've never been one of those lucky peeps who just knew what they were destined to do with there life. But, I've always felt a need to nurture, love, share and allow others to feel open to share and love, to serve others (be it cooking, entertaining, hosting, making people laugh at my own expense), and be loved in return. I am a nerd and took a personality test the other day, only to find that my personality is that of "The Helper." I'm in the same category as Mother Teresa. Um, ha! That makes me laugh. NO WHERE CLOSE! But, I've taken a couple of personality tests/career tests and it always comes out the same. I'm a nurturer, a helper, and I've been told this in my job evaluations too.

This is difficult for me to swallow when we live in a world where the focus is more on serving our own needs.
I stumbled on this blog, and found this little blurb that I can totally relate to: Popular culture promises that by recognizing and focusing on our own needs, we will find empowerment. But, in reality this creates a culture of comparison, distraction and discontent, none of which lead to empowerment. The act of mothering … caring for, teaching, and nurturing, has just the opposite effect.  It emboldens us with confidence, contentment and purpose.

Now, this whole blurb is about motherhood, something I know NOTHING about, but I think you can replace "mothering" with "serving" and get the same result. In my life, I strive to serve God, my husband, my family, my friends, my co-workers and the little kiddos I lead worship to on Sundays. I love cooking for my husband and serving him good, healthy meals, cleaning the house and making it a relaxing, comforting place to come home to after a hard days work, and cuddling with him and making him feel loved. With friends, family, co-workers and the kiddos, I just try to serve with love, patience, kindness, time and understanding. It is nothing grand or anything to brag about or put on my resume to help me climb the ladder in my career, but I am believing more and more that God has called me to love and serve others. The "how" part, I'm not sure of yet, but I'm just going to continue striving and doing what I'm doing because I hope and believe He will reveal my purpose to one day :)

No comments: