Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The holidays

{Me, the Hubs and my Sister-in-Love on Christmas Eve}
I am still recovering from the holidays. What a whirlwind of fun and cheer that was! It was my first Christmas away from my parents, and I have to say it was a success! No tears. Yay, I'm a big girl! haha. How old am I again? Oh that's right. I'm 28 years old. 

I worked all the way up to Friday evening, and was ready to hit the road when I got home. Once we arrived at the in-loves' house, we didn't meander too much because there was a lot to do the next day for Christmas Eve. My mother-in-love and I woke up (not so bright and early) to go get our fitness on at the gym, and then we headed home to start cooking. The hubs and I made a quick trip to Red X, an interesting little grocery store that has anything and everything you could want and not want, for some vino and brussels sprouts. Then it was back to the house where I made roasted brussels sprouts and holiday brie en croute. It was my first time making the brie and it was delicious!

{via puffpastry.com}
My mother-in-love is Italiano and makes some amazing and delicious food for the holidays. She made two types of pasta sauce (puttanesca and a meat sauce with chicken and meatballs), yummy pasta noodles, tons of olives and cheese...oh the cheese. Best Christmas Eve meal I've ever had. And she did all the work. I tell ya, the lady is awesome and has mad skills when it comes to pasta sauce.

After dinner, we opened a few presents, drank some wine and played a White Elephant game. Then it was off to bed so we could wake up at noon to unwrap presents on Christmas Day! I think that was the first time I slept in on Christmas morning and it was glorious! I got a Swiffer Sweeper, some yummy fuzzy socks with aloe in them, fleece pajamas, scarves, candles, a sweater and a jacket! I am spoiled rotten, I tell ya. 

We stayed in Kansas City for two more days, and then it was back home where I got to enjoy two more days off work. 

On New Year's Eve, the Hubs and I were recovering from a cold so we decided to start the year low key and stay at home. I went out and bought some white tuna, salmon and sashimi tuna so we could make our own sushi from home. I also purchased avocado, cream cheese, cucumbers, jalapenos and mango to add to the sushi. It was so good and we had a lot of fun making it together.

Our ingredients.

My sous chef hard at work slicin' and dicin'.

The final product was delish!
After sushi, we played some Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, where I kicked major booty, and finished the evening watching Ryan Seacrest wear way too much bronzer and Lady Gaga dress as a human whisk. What a way to end 2011 and ring in 2012 :)

No comments: