Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Basil out the ears

{pinterest}
The Hubs and I grew basil this summer, and the hot summer sun (and the Hubs DIY irrigation system) has really helped our basil to grow like a beast. LIKE A BEAST, I tell you.

I love basil. Basil, basil, basil. Yum, yum in my tummy. We have so much of it, we are making tons and tons of recipes with it, such as...
 Margherita Pizza ala Me Recipe:
12 inch wheat dough - I buy mine from a local pizza shop or you could make your own

3 medium tomato(es)   
1 cup basil, shredded into ribbons

1 cup mozzarella cheese (buy a ball of mozzarella cheese and cut into 1/2 inch slices)

Directions:

  1. Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack; preheat oven to 400F
  2. Roll the pizza and place on a 13-inch circle. Make it thin! Oh yum!
  3. Bake the pizza a bit before topping it until the bottom is crisp for about 5 to 8 minutes.
  4. Top with sliced tomatoes, cheese and shredded basil. 
  5. Drizzle 2 tsps of olive oil on top and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes till crust is golden, but don't let mozzarella brown!
  6. Serve immediately.
Make your own dough:
1. Combine 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour, 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 2-1/4 tsp yeast, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp sugar in a food processor; pulse to mix. Combine 1/2 cup hot water and 2 tsps of oil in a measuring cup. With the motor running, gradually pour in enough of the hot liquid until the mixture forms a sticky ball. The dough should be quite soft. If it seems dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water; if too sticky, add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour. Process until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Coat a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place it, sprayed-side down, over the dough. Let the dough rest for 10 to 20 minutes before rolling.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Mmm...I love basil, too. I bought a small plant this year instead of buying it at the store every time I wanted it. Thanks for the recipes! I want to make my own pesto, but I don't have a food processor (boo). Maybe it is time to invest. I have an orzo salad with basil that is yummy if you'd like it.

Calamity J said...

We use our blender since Blake objected to me registering for a food processor :) I'd love your orzo salad recipe! I just made orzo for the first time last night! SOOO good :)

Erica said...

Orzo Pasta Salad
6cups chicken broth
1 16oz pkg of orzo pasta
1/3 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
1 cups chopped cucumber
fresh basil leaves to taste,
1 and 3/4 cups of crumbled feta cheese (I use the sun-dried tomato basil feta)
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

Cook the pasta in broth (10-12 min). Meanwhile, whisk the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, and basil.
Drain pasta, add to tomato mixture. Drizzle with dressing, toss to coat. Chill until serving. Just before serving, add cheese and nuts!