Friday, March 21, 2008

I could have been a Cowgirl!

Ok, so I'm on a bit of a kick right now with the Wild West. I saw the movie "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and it was AWESOME! Love me some Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck.

Also, I played Annie Oakley in my high school musical "Annie Get Your Gun," which I rocked! So ever since then, I've been attached to cowboy boots and all things wild west. Being that time of year, Easter, I thought I would educate all you readers out there with 2 of my favorite Cowgirls: Annie Oakley and Calamity Jane...really, there is no relation between Easter and Cowgirls...that I am aware of, but I just love the wild west!

Annie Oakley



Annie Oakley, the poor back-country orphan girl who made her way to world-wide fame, was the very spirit of personal independence. She could handle a rifle or a six-gun with an artistry unsurpassed by that of any human being before her time or, probably, since. And when she appeared with Sitting Bull and other notables in Colonel Cody's Wild West Show, she thrilled the audience - not as Phoebe Anne Oakley Moses but as "Little Sure Shot," the immortal Annie Oakley.

Calamity Jane




She was born Martha Jane Canary in Princeton, Missouri. This hard drinking woman wore men's clothing, used their bawdy language, chewed tobacco and was handy with a gun.

Her old nickname was received in 1872 in a peculiar way. She was at that time at Goose Creek Camp, S.D., where Captain Egan and a small body of men were stationed. The Indians were giving a lot of trouble, and there was much fighting.

One day Captain Egan was surrounded by a large band. They were fighting desperately for their lives, but were being steadily, but surely slaughtered. Captain Egan was wounded and had fallen off his horse.

In the midst of the fighting, it is said, the woman rode into the very center of the trouble, dismounted, lifted the captain in front of her on her saddle, and dashed out. They got through untouched, but every other man in the gallant company was slaughtered.

When he recovered, Captain Egan laughingly spoke of Miss Canary as 'Calamity Jane,' and the name has clung to her ever since.

Happy Easter Weekend:)

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Then you're gonna be really jealous when I tell you that this past fall I went to Wild West Fest in Phoenix, AZ. Complete with a shootout reenactment!