Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Walk it out


I am insane and decided to enroll in a Hip Hop Class taught by none other than the fabulous Bobby Ray. We've been taking the class now for about 6 weeks, and I still look pretty white and not cool. I really feel like we need to have a class on how to be cool like in "Save the Last Dance." I think it would be extremely beneficial and give me some street cred...could I BE any cooler!?

I have come to the conclusion that I cannot dance Hip Hop, althougth I definitely try, and that I should embrace all that is white and begin teaching Interpretive Dance. That's my real style of dancing. If I were to teach Interpretive Dance, I would say that there are a few key elements to this style of dance: theatrics, skill and loss of inhibitions. You really just gotta get lost in the music and let yourself go...it's the only way to get this style down! But dance with caution because if too ecentric, you can end up looking like a hippie. Think Napoleon Dynamite/Sign Language/"Annie" the Musical and I think you've got a great start to all that is interpretive dancing.

I have found that there are 3 great songs to interpretive dance too and they are the following:

1. Like a Prayer
2. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
3. Dancing Queen

I'm sure there are a lot of other great songs, but those are definitely my faves to interpret.

Moral of the Story: Stick to what you know and get your groove on.

No comments: