Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gobble, Gobble

"Hey kids! Everybody pose around the raw turkey"
Oh family traditions. I'm happy to say my family hasn't made me pose with a raw turkey...yet. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. The Hubs (aka Scrooge) tells me that it's just another day of people getting together to eat food. But, it's always been so much more than that for me. Waking up early to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, the smells of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and pumpkin in the air, and families gathering together, laughing and embracing. There just was always something magical to the day for me. 

My family always celebrates the holiday on my mom's side. Her mother passed away around the holiday many years ago, and ever since her death, all the children (there use to be 8, but now 7 - God Bless Uncle Tommy) gather together to celebrate the holiday. I've got a lot of aunts, uncles and cousins, and we'd all pack into a house, and chow down on noodles, cheese dip, cranberry jello and pie. 

Mmm...noodles. It's really the only thing I eat on Thanksgiving. My uncle makes the best chicken and noodles EVER, which he starts cooking days before the holiday. And, I only get them once a year...but not this year. This year, I'm celebrating the holidays with my new in-laws, and I'm excited to experience some new traditions! 

I'm also contributing to the holiday spread this year! Tonight I will be a baking machine! Just call me Betty.  Here is what I'm making for my first holiday with the in-laws:


Good gawl! Then tomorrow, I'm waking up early, going for a run, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with the Hubs, and then it's over the river and through the woods to the In-Laws house we go!

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! So much to be thankful for this year :)

No comments: