Friday, September 10, 2010

Witchy Woman

I love witches! All kinds of 'em. Professor McConagall, Hermione and Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter, Elphaba from Wicked, Samantha from Bewitched, Eva Ernst from The Witches, Mary Poppins (yes, she is a witch), the Owens sisters from Practical Magic, the Sanderson sisters from Hocus Pocus and Wendy the Good Little Witch.

I also love the history about the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. Its amazing what jealousy and envy can do to a person! I find it so interesting (and yes, horrible) that these young, silly girls lashed out at women and even men saying that they had set the devil on them, and adults believed them! I've been reading up about it a lot lately. You should Google it. It's addicting. I may even have to rent the move The Crucible this weekend!

I've also been reading about the history of witches (don't worry ma, I won't be getting into Wicca any time soon), and you might be interested to know that witches have been persecuted since the 1200s! In 1484, Pope Innocent VIII claimed that witches were indeed real, and therefore, it was heresy to believe otherwise. As a result of this, church authorities tortured and killed thousands of women in an effort to get them to confess that they flew through the sky, turned into animals and engaged in various sorts of black magic!

Good GAWL! Crazies, crazies, crazies. I love it. Not the torture, but just the spookiness of it all.

And with that, I will set you off on your weekend with some photos of my favorites spooky ladies :)

No comments: