Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Me vs. Nature

I have a problem. Definitely more than just one, but that's not the point. I am a Newlywed obsessed with nesting. It's true. I can't quit planning weekly menus, baking up delicious meals like skillet-roasted strip steak with pebre sauce and avocado (what the heck is "pebre sauce" you ask? deliciousness and just leave it at that), mapping out our budget, planning our next big vacation, cleaning up the house before I go to sleep...and then, there's the yard work.

I pulled weeds for 2 hours on my Sunday afternoon while it was about 97 degrees outside after I took a 2 mile run. Insane? Yes. OCD? Quite possibly. After a few weeks of rain, I have a new foe. Lambs Ear. Do not be fooled by this little green, fuzzy thing growing in your garden. Rip it out and spray it down with weed killer immediately. It is not cute and it is not your friend. It will overtake your garden and grass, and grow deep roots, that even after ripping out twice will come back again, and again, and again. It's like that ex-boyfriend who just doesn't get the hint. I don't like you. Bugger off.
Then, there's the spider webs. Mom says it's a sign of fall, but these suckers have been around since the beginning of summer. On Sunday, the spiders got hosed. The front entrance was sparkling. On Monday, the spiders were back with webs. Another foe.
Is it realistic to think I can combat Mother Nature? I don't know. She can be one tough Mutha. All I know is this, you don't want to mess with a newlywed with a hose and a hoe. This could get bloody. And the chiggers aren't helping.

1 comment:

L said...

cousin, you need to write a book. you'd make big money