Friday, August 13, 2010

Thought of the day :: Peace

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for thou art with me..." Psalm 23:1-4

I went running last night, late last night, and as I was running fear came over me. The realization that I was completely alone running at twilight with no one around to help me hit me like a train. My cheeks went hot and my body turned gelatinous. All these thoughts of what bad things could happen to me went racing through my mind. Granted, I was running outside of a nice neighborhood and a few people were outside, but all rational thought was gone.


Then Psalm 23:1-4 came into my mind. I hadn't thought about that scripture since I was a little girl, and if you would have asked me to repeat it an hour before my run, I would have gone blank. But the verse was clear in my mind. I repeated the words over and over to myself, "The Lord is my shepherd...I shall fear no evil." Peace rushed over me like a calming wave. I am safe for the Lord is with me.

Not to get all philosophical, but the world tells us to think about, be concerned about and be afraid about a lot of things. But in reality, the things of this world don't matter. {Wait for the connection} Money, fame, success, etc. Those things don't matter. God spells it out for us what really matters in life. Faith, Hope and Love, but the greatest of these is Love. I just want everyone to think about that as the weekend approaches, and I hope it brings you Peace as you enjoy your time with friends and family this weekend.

No comments: