Monday, August 30, 2010

An Early Thanksgiving

It's amazing what a 6 hour drive and a weekend with family can do for a person. Last night as I sat in bed reminiscing about the weekend and thanking God for such loving family and friends, an overwhelming sense of gratitude came over me. So much to be thankful for. As a kid, I use to thank God for everything. "Thank you God for the changing seasons, thank you for the freshly fallen leaves, thank you for my cat, Pippi (God rest his soul), thank you for my brother, mom and dad, thank you for my teacher, etc." I was definitely a silly, imaginative kid, but sweet, of course. Hello, it's me we're talking about!

As I got older, I quit thanking God for all the small things in life. I'm not sure why, but I know that I just began to expect them, which caused me to be less grateful. As a married woman who works hard for my money, I am beginning to return to that child-like faith thanking God for anything and everything. For example, my drive to and from my parents' home was gorgeous! The sun was setting over the corn fields and the rays cast an amazing golden glow on the trees. Thank you God for the sun and this beautiful view.

My mom bought me a month's worth of Weight Watchers meals, washed my car, bought me a steamer because she knows I hate ironing the hub's work clothes and bought me school supplies :) Thank you God for my loving, thoughtful mom.

My dad took my car to get his haircut, and on the way home put gas in my car and got my oil changed. Thank you God for my loving, thoughtful dad.

I got to go to a wedding and dance and laugh with my aunts, uncles and cousins. Thank you God for my loving and fun family.

My brother sold some of my clothes and made money for me at his garage sale. Thank you God for my loving, thoughtful brother.

My grandma gave my family money to go out together for dinner. Thank you God for my loving, thoughtful grandma.

My niece and nephew let me take a nap and made me smile with laughter. Thank you God for my wonderful niece and nephew.

My hubs left the house cleaner than I left it and even made the bed! Thank you God for my loving, thoughtful hubs.

As I laid in bed praying and thanking God for all the blessings in my life, I began to feel homesick for my hubs and family. I was alone. I hate being alone. But then, God reminded me that when it comes to Him, I am never alone. He is always with me. Thank you God for sticking with me, for living in my heart and never leaving my side.

Needless to say, it was an early day of thanks for this girl. I think I might make it a habit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank You God for my lovely, thoughtful and thankful daughter. What a blessing she i s in my life and the life of others bless her and keep her Lord all the days of her life.

Thank You Jesus!